![]() |
| Jackson's first book |
Today Jackson decided to stay home from school and he used his morning to come up with this story. I know the illustrations are pretty simple, but I was pretty impressed with not only his story idea, but his logical development of events and clear beginning, middle, and end. Three important aspects to good writing. I also loved the clear influence of some of our recent Magic Tree House books and Captain Raptor, and not so obvious influence of The Fly Guy books.
Maybe it's the curse of being a teacher or maybe it's that we only have one child to hold all my attention. Whatever the excuse, I admit that I've been obsessed with school choice since the day he was born. I've learned a lot over this long year, not the least of which has been my philosophy about school and being a parent (as compared with being a teacher). I am honestly surprised at how relaxed I am about his upcoming kindergarten year. I couldn't feel more confident that he is ready for it. I have to admit that I originally had my doubts about him going to a German kindergarten where they play all day; no direct instruction, no alphabet, no counting, no science experiments, only playing, and this at a time when he is such a SPONGE. It's like he's thirsty for knowledge. Sounds like a recipe for wasting valuable teaching opportunities to me! The kindergarten play philosophy has turned out to be the greatest blessing though because he seeks out and is receptive to academic stimulation from home and this means that I get the pleasure of teaching him!!! I could never have asked for anything more!! It is also clear that although, he does spend the great majority of time at home playing with toys, he has a genuine interest in reading, writing, and numbers. I guess that's as prepared as he could be for kindergarten; he holds the honest DESIRE to want to learn. Let's just pray I can stay this relaxed when I meet his kindergarten teacher....only time will tell.

No comments:
Post a Comment